Stan Chambers
studio
2005-07-31 19:08:36 UTC
Last night I was at the Stan Chambers

celebration. Think about it, this man has been a

Los Angeles TV newsguy for 58 years! Incredible!

Mayor Villaraigosa was there, along with

all the Police and Fire Chiefs, etc....

He is well liked and respected by all.

He was the one who covered the story of the

little girl who fell in the well. April,1949.

Hats off to Stan.
Chaz Lambrusco
2005-07-31 19:15:46 UTC
Post by studio
Last night I was at the Stan Chambers
celebration. Think about it, this man has been a
Los Angeles TV newsguy for 58 years! Incredible!
Mayor Villaraigosa was there, along with
all the Police and Fire Chiefs, etc....
He is well liked and respected by all.
He was the one who covered the story of the
little girl who fell in the well. April,1949.
Hats off to Stan.
I respect him more any any other news journalist.
He is a true legend.

PMS did not attend this event? Tsk Tsk.
NonTravelerAgain
2005-07-31 20:30:22 UTC
Stan is amazing. He's the last of the breed, that's for sure. A real pro,
able to get a story across clearly and without bias. I've watched the guy
all my life and have no idea what his personal political leanings are.

Anyone in L.A. old enough to remember Bill Stout or Ralph Story? Two more
broadcast legends, all but forgotten now.
tipoponini
2005-07-31 21:02:52 UTC
I remember both. Ralph Story had a show with Stephanie Edwards.
MrDarkness
2005-07-31 21:31:35 UTC
Who could forget Ralph Story? His surname was incredible irony. Who
could forget the way he told stories, breathing life anew into
fascinating episodes of LA's history, tales otherwise left to die of
malnutrition and neglect? He was part journalist, part historian--and
part story teller, out of the same mold as Mark Twain. "Ralph Story's
Los Angeles" was a classic that will never receive its full due
recognition.

As long as we're all exposing our age and dropping names, who could
forget George Putnam (no problem ascertaining HIS political leanings)?
Who could forget his "Talk Back to the News" show in which, alongside
Hal Fishman and Larry McCormick, he'd engage in verbal combat with a
live audience--and sometimes with his two cohorts.

Independent LA broadcasting was a wonderful thing we've lost to
networks and homogenization. There was a time when local news programs
exuded the dignity of Stan Chambers and his ilk. That time is long gone.
rpbc
2005-07-31 21:50:59 UTC
Mr. D. I was wondering if anyone would mention George Putnam. Whether
you agreed with him or not, you always understood where he was coming
from.... there was a real guy there. More than can be said about todays
variety.
2005-07-31 22:14:41 UTC
A blast from the past from you all....Thanks! Yes, those were the days
of real reportage untrammeled by fear of a blasting based on politics,
religion or race.
NonTravelerAgain
2005-07-31 22:45:19 UTC
Wow, you guys are amazing! Ralph Story's Los Angeles. I wonder if those
shows exist anywhere on tape? I'd sure love to see some of them again.
Putnam was another amazing guy...and still alive, if I'm not mistaken.
Great stuff...glad it's not all forgotten, at least by a few of us!
rpbc
2005-07-31 23:27:27 UTC
NT... Putnam is still writing a news article.

http://newsmax.com/pundits/Putnam.shtml
Chaz Lambrusco
2005-07-31 23:52:36 UTC
Post by rpbc
NT... Putnam is still writing a news article.
http://newsmax.com/pundits/Putnam.shtml
So who is your most UN favorite LA news personality?

I vote for Paul Moyer.
Chaz Lambrusco
2005-07-31 23:56:05 UTC
Post by Chaz Lambrusco
Post by rpbc
NT... Putnam is still writing a news article.
http://newsmax.com/pundits/Putnam.shtml
So who is your most UN favorite LA news personality?
I vote for Paul Moyer.
Here is a picture of PMS dunking Paul Moyer on May Day
http://storage.msn.com/x1piX7E0_WrhVBA65PZ4iRJsDv7xQV-lOa52wPKeihqpumtzdfJ0bUxYbK0bPa_cgoCoEUdSs_fh72I_js3MV6DG_H8ymptdZQ0aPlcYR9g70HnJc_JZZ68Xg
rpbc
2005-08-01 00:16:29 UTC
chaz.. Moyer comes first to mind.
frenchy
2005-08-04 17:33:06 UTC
One thing I was thinking about Moyers is after all these years... the
guy MUST be dying his hair. As sure as Hal Fishman is wearing a toupe.
frenchy
2005-08-04 17:32:15 UTC
He still has a radio show too, the guy's 91, he still sounds exactly
the same as he did when I used to watch him on the news when I was a
little kid 35 years ago.... and he was old THEN too!! Some people are
amazing in how they canseemingly defy aging.
MrDarkness
2005-07-31 22:37:31 UTC
That's true, rpbc. It's also true that if after all the years that NTA
watched Stan Chambers without gaining a clue as to his political
stance, then Stan must have done his job as a journalist exceptionally
well.

Journalist: one who observes, and reports his or her observations. He
or she does not become part of the story, does not become an advocate,
nor color the facts by means of selectively disclosing some, but
witholding or downplaying others not to their liking. There are few
left of this stripe, and Stan is one of them.

George Putnam tarnished his own journalistic credibility, but it's
clear he did so because he heard the trumpet of a higher calling which
required that he do so. As you said, you "always understood where he
was coming from." He became an advocate, but he didn't do so
deceptively. No smoke-and-mirrors reporting of the facts of the matter.
His journalistic practices were compromised, but honestly so. Cards
face up on the table.

Stan and George took decidedly opposing methods-of-operation into their
profession, and I sencond guess neither. Both were polar extremes which
have long ago vanished from the airwaves.
Obrien
2005-07-31 22:56:53 UTC
Re: Stan Chambers
by "MrDarkness" <***@yahoo.com> Jul 31, 2005 at 02:31 PM

[...]

Obrien wrote:

Mr. Darkness, I remember most of those newscasters, including Christina
Lund. I think it was Don Henley that made reference to her in his song
"Dirty Laundry" (The bubble-headed bleach blonde, comes on at ten...)
Christina Lund had a bad habit of reporting horrible tragedies with
pernicious zeal.

I still remember when Geraldo Rivera used to go by the name of Jerry
Rivers, during his formative years reporting the news.

If I had to pick a favorite news reporter, it would be Eric Severeid, IMHO
he was the closest to "Fair" and "Balanced" reporting--if there is such a
thing.
MrDarkness
2005-08-01 00:13:29 UTC
Christine Lund...O'Brien, wasn't she the breast cancer victim (single
mastectomy) that did a long stint on KABC? The one that boiled over
with disingenuous emotion--AKA, "pernicious zeal?"

If so, I remember her too. She soldiered on during the transitional
phase between the late great LA independent news and the network
blow-drier slop you get today, in which the "news" blends seamlessly
with "Entertainment Tonight."

It could be argued that she was the forerunner to all the trash that
followed.
Chaz Lambrusco
2005-08-01 00:56:21 UTC
Post by MrDarkness
Christine Lund...O'Brien, wasn't she the breast cancer victim (single
mastectomy) that did a long stint on KABC? The one that boiled over
with disingenuous emotion--AKA, "pernicious zeal?"
If so, I remember her too. She soldiered on during the transitional
phase between the late great LA independent news and the network
blow-drier slop you get today, in which the "news" blends seamlessly
with "Entertainment Tonight."
It could be argued that she was the forerunner to all the trash that
followed.
I've heard over the years that PMS's favorite "Dirty Laundry" song was
written about Christine Lund. "Bubble Headed Bleach Blonde comes on
at Five"

You either love him (my vote) or hate him, Dr. George Fishbeck was
from that era.
tipoponini
2005-08-01 02:46:45 UTC
I remember Christine Lund when she was a field reporter.She covered the
fire the SLA (Patty Hearst) members died in.
Jerry Dunphy seemed to be well liked.
I read that Ted Knight on "The Mary Tyler Moore"was based on Jerry.
I also remember when Kathy Fiscus fell in the well. I was young but I
remember my parents kept the radio on the whole time. Everyone in the
neighborhood had their radios on it.
MrDarkness
2005-08-01 03:10:03 UTC
"You either love him (my vote) or hate him, Dr. George Fishbeck was
from that era."

I second that vote, Chaz. Dr. George was the antithesis of everything
broadcast journalism was degenerating into at that time: his
pre-broadcast prepreations DIDN'T include a couple of hours in front of
a mirror. He frequently fumbled over his words, sometimes staring at
the camera for several uncomfortable moments while recovering what it
was he trying to say.

And we was one of a very few weathermen that also happened to be a
meteorologist, actually had some idea of what he was talking about.
tipoponini
2005-08-01 04:45:25 UTC
The newscaster who killed his wife and her lover was Stan Duke. The lover
was Averell Berman, not sure of spelling of his first name.
Elder Perm Poom
2005-08-01 22:37:04 UTC
Post by MrDarkness
Who could forget Ralph Story?
Certainly not Huell Howser... He stole his show!

The best thing I ever heard with Stan Chambers was when Phil Hendrie
got him on the phone as Raj Faneesh and started saying all kinds of
crazy things. Stan just laughed and was the perfect gentleman, even
though he had no idea what was going on.

Blessings
--
Elder Perm Poom
KING of AFGS

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*
RESTORING the Tabernacle! Bringing the GOOD NEWS of *PERMANENT* and
*IRREVOKABLE* REDEMPTION to the world! Glory be to GLUNKMAN! Hosea!
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

"It is the Christian thing to do and has nothing to do with Smurfs." --Raye

"I think to have a really eventful (baptism) expierence (sic) one must stay
submerged for 90 seconds." --claudias "I'd like to cut that down to 20
seconds." --claudieas

"I am no more (a) kook than Gene Scott was. --BeliverForSure
Elder Perm Poom
2005-08-01 22:40:00 UTC
Post by MrDarkness
As long as we're all exposing our age and dropping names, who could
forget George Putnam (no problem ascertaining HIS political leanings)?
Who could forget his "Talk Back to the News" show in which, alongside
Hal Fishman and Larry McCormick, he'd engage in verbal combat with a
live audience--and sometimes with his two cohorts.
I remember when old George announced that he kept a loaded revolver
near every window in his house, and if any of those Watts rioters came
at him, he wouldn't hesitate to use it! Poor Larry McCormick had no
"talk back" to that one!

Blessings

Timmah
2005-08-01 02:37:54 UTC
Columbo the detective was based on Bill Stout.
frenchy
2005-08-04 17:27:44 UTC
Saw a funny bloooper with old Bilol Stout once... he's sitting there
and doesn't know the camera is on yet or back from a break or whatever,
laughing with somebody off to the side, puffing on a cig, then becomes
aware he's on the air and is startled back to seriousness again... And
another funny one where he's interviewing a dude on the beach and gets
pissed about getting splashed by a few waves...
Yup Stan Chambers "is a good one" as Jackie Gleason would say, not just
one of those guys who just seems like a nice guy, you KNOW he's a nice
guy.
Timmah
2005-08-01 02:36:20 UTC
From the desert to the sea and to all of Southern Califonia....Jerry
Dunphy...

Time to "callem as we see em"...Gill Strattn with sports...

Chuck Hilliard, the Howard Hughes looking guy...but Stan is still the
best.
tipoponini
2005-08-01 03:01:31 UTC
Who was the personality that caught his wife with a man and killed them
both. I believe he was a sports person. I believe he was an olympic champ.
John L. Jordan
2005-08-01 17:28:08 UTC
My wife and I moved into
Hollywood in 1979. "Dr.George"
was one of the first of the
local t.v. personalities that
we became familiar with.
I remember laughing out loud
the first time I saw him.
I thought he was "acting."
But as the years went by,
we discovered that Dr. George
was sincere. (Is he still sincere?
Is DrGeo still alive in this world?)
Many people in
L.A. are very pleasant
and sincere but the LAplace is now
so hopped-up, there isn't time
like there 'used to be' to relax
(in that old pueblo way) and
enjoy each other's company.
Whenever I wanted a dose
of "the old days" I went
to Phillipe's. I mighta even seen
Dr.George there, who knows!!
Skubalon
2005-08-02 01:59:55 UTC
Post by John L. Jordan
My wife and I moved into
Hollywood in 1979. "Dr.George"
was one of the first of the
local t.v. personalities that
we became familiar with.
I remember laughing out loud
the first time I saw him.
I thought he was "acting."
But as the years went by,
we discovered that Dr. George
was sincere. (Is he still sincere?
Is DrGeo still alive in this world?)
Many people in
L.A. are very pleasant
and sincere but the LAplace is now
so hopped-up, there isn't time
like there 'used to be' to relax
(in that old pueblo way) and
enjoy each other's company.
Whenever I wanted a dose
of "the old days" I went
to Phillipe's. I mighta even seen
Dr.George there, who knows!!
I separate "acting" from sincerity. He did a lot of
schtick to make the weather more interesting. His
favorite quote "When you are teaching, you know
the students are learning when there are smiles on
their faces."

Dr. George is still with us! He and Stan Chambers
were at the local LA Emmy awards. Here are pictures
of them
http://www.emmys.org/awards/2004la/2004laphotos.php?numStart=4&numCurrentPage=2&numPages=4
frenchy
2005-08-04 17:35:20 UTC
Damn, Dr. George is still running around like that? I fugured he must
be dibilitated or something as I haven't seen him in years and years.
Channel 7 should give him some little stories to work on or do some
'days gone by' stories with him.

d***@yahoo.com
2005-08-02 00:23:28 UTC
"Jane you ignorant slut." Dan Aykroyd